These cheddar parmesan zucchini muffins are savory and fluffy and remind me of the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster! If you have extra zucchini around, this is the perfect recipe.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
At breakfast time, I prefer savory over sweet, so I wanted to come up with a savory zucchini muffin that can be enjoyed in the morning or any time of the day! Adding zucchini makes these muffins super moist; you will love the cheesy flavor!
1 & 3/4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
One tablespoon of dried onion– or minced fresh onion
One cup of shredded zucchini– after you drain, you should have about 2/3 cup of shredded zucchini.
One large egg
1 cup of milk
1/3 cup of melted butter. You can also use olive oil
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper to taste
Optional Ingredients: You can add different kinds of cheeses. Monetary Jack, Pepper Jack, gouda, and mozzarella will all taste fantastic with this recipe! You can also add garlic or garlic powder or some spice to kick this up a notch!
Muffin Pan or muffin tin
large bowl or medium bowl for mixing
How do you drain the shredded zucchini?
To use shredded zucchini successfully in a recipe, you must drain the excess water from the zucchini after it has been shredded. I use paper towels to get the excess water out of the zucchini. You can also use a cheesecloth. You will want to shred the zucchini into a bowl and then use a few paper towels to sop all the extra water. You will probably soak through 3-4 paper towels before draining all the water.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and dried onion. Set aside.
- Shred zucchini into a second medium-sized mixing bowl. And drain thoroughly.
- Add egg, milk, melted butter, and cheese to the zucchini and Stir until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Spray the muffin tin with cooking spray or line it with a muffin liner. Note: this mixture might stick to a muffin liner since this recipe has low fat.
- Scoop even amounts of muffin batter into each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 5 minutes before serving.
You can store leftovers at room temperature in an airtight container for up to three days. You can also store these in a freezer bag or an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months. I would avoid storing these in the fridge. They might dry out. I suggest warming these up in the microwave for 30 seconds to warm them up.
Here are a few important tips
- You may want to consider not using muffin liners. I have had these muffins stick to muffin liners before.
- You can use any cheese you like. However, I highly suggest using Triple cheddar shredded cheese if you can find it.
- Dry the zucchini in a paper towel before adding it to the muffins. If you don’t, the muffins will turn out too moist.
Zucchini is rich in potassium, calcium, vitamin c, protein, and fiber. Zucchini is low in cholesterol and sodium.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded after you drain you should have 2/3 cup of shredded zucchini
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup melted butter You can also sub olive oil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and dried onion. Set aside.
Shred zucchini into a second medium-sized mixing bowl. And drain thoroughly.
Add egg, milk, melted butter, and cheese to the zucchini and mix.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
Spray muffin tin with cooking spray.
Scoop even amounts of muffin mix into each muffin tin
Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
Remove from oven. use a butter knife to pop each muffin out of the muffin tin.
If you like this recipe, then you should also try the following:
These muffins are the perfect breakfast and snack and taste great alongside a salad, bowl of chili, or bowl of soup.
Did you make these perfect savory cheddar parmesan muffins? I would love to hear how these turned out for you! Please comment below this blog post or tag me on social media and let me know how you like them! You can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
What a great recipe! I used Smokey cheddar because that’s what I had – they were delicious!