This post may contain affiliate links. I received free participation to the Live Healthy Iowa program from the Iowa Food and Family Project in exchange for this post. They are also providing me with Beef or Pork coupons to giveaway today. Giveaway instructions are at the bottom of this post.
I sometimes wonder what my neighbors must think. As I am running circles around my kitchen like a mad women. Again.
Or when I am at the Cedar Falls Library. In the children’s department, lapping the train table while my children play.
Or when I show up at the Walgreens, half a mile from my house, all bundled up to pick up some half and half, when it is twenty degrees outside.
I am a FitBit Junkie- and I go through great lengths to get my 12,000 steps in each day. And since it is cold outside, and I have to wait three more months before I can take my baby to the day- care at my gym. I am getting those steps in any way I possibly can.
And you know what? It is making a difference.
I have had three babies- and this is the first time I have been able to get down below my pre-pregnancy weight within just a few months. I am not crash dieting ( just eating reasonably). But I really feel like making the effort to get my steps in each and every day makes all the difference in the world.
I have joined Live Healthy Iowa’s 10 week fitness challenge. It is a great program put on by the Iowa Food and Family Project. It is a great program where you can track your physical activity, food intake and overall wellness.
When I log in to track my physical activity, I can choose physical activities- like walking or cleaning- which goes to show that every step you take throughout the day counts.
I have been tracking my physical activity with my Fitbit for almost two years. One thing that I notice about it is
- A 2-3 mile run isn’t as many steps as you think. ( don’t get me wrong, it’s still a lot of steps, but you can’t sit on the couch for the rest of the day.) And.
- Random walks around the block, trips up the stairs and chasing after your kids really add up fast.
Here are 20 ways I get extra steps in during the winter. ( aren’t Iowa winters the best?)
- Walk around the block- It’s still a little cold to be taking my three month old out. I like to take random walks around the block after dinner- when my husband is home.
- Step Workout- I bought a aerobic step. I have been finding some awesome step workouts on Youtube. It is amazing how great of a workout you can get on a step!
- Clean- I have three kids- so I need to do this anyway. But it doesn’t seem so bad, when you’re getting steps in.
- Go to the store- And take an extra lap around that store- while you’re at it!
- Take extra trips up the stairs- I like to go upstairs to use the bathroom. I have two little boys who have taken over my downstairs bathroom. As a mom of three boys, I am pretty sure I will be doing this for the next fifteen years!
- Walk around the Mall- like those people. But it’s free and warm during the winter!
- Dance with your kids!- We do this daily in our house!
- Walk to the store- I will sometimes walk to CVS or Walgreens, alone after dinner if we need to get just one or two things. It is so refreshing to take a little break.
- Pace back and forth when you’re on the phone.
- Put laundry away, one item at a time!- I have basement laundry, so I get lots of steps in this way!
- Do and evening “clean sweep”- I actually love doing this! I love waking up to a picked-up downstairs!
- Park in the back of the parking lot.
- Take laps around the house- My three-year old loves doing this with me. We usually put some music on too. ( again. I wonder what the neighbors must think.)
- Organize a closet or cabinet- I have been doing this a lot lately. Amazing how many steps you can get in.
- Get to the gym- I have only been able to get to the gym 1-2 times a week, but I take advantage of it when I can!
- Join a #workweekhustle group- If you have a fitbit, you can join step challenges with people. It is amazing how much my group motivates me!
- Do jumping jacks- 10 jumping jacks here and there add up!
- Get the mail and take out the trash- My husband probably thinks I am crazy, but I have started volunteering myself for these things.
- Shovel the snow.
- Make homemade food! – It is amazing how many steps I rack-up when I am making homemade meals for my family!
Which brings me to my giveaway! Eating balanced meals is just as important as staying active. I am giving away three certificates that can go towards fresh pork or beef. Enter below. This giveaway will be open for a week