Here ya go folks. Flourless Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars……. Also known as…..Legume Bars.
If you don’t eat legumes, this is not the dessert for you, because these cookie bars ,contain mostly legumes. But, if you like legumes, than great, because these cookies contain a lot of them
I have seen all over the web, where people use black beans in their brownies . ( which I tried, and didn’t really like) I have also seen where people replace the flour with garbanzo beans in cookies. ( which I also didn’t care for).
But then, I thought about using Northern White Beans in place of those garbanzo beans. See, I just feel like white beans would have less of a “Bean taste”. And I was right, because these were actually quite tasty.
I used the last of my Maple Homemade Peanut Butter, that I made last week, to make these cookie bars. Also, I have a hard time finding good dark chocolate chips out here in Iowa. So, I usually buy high quality dark chocolate bars and just pulse them in my food processor for a few seconds. I have a Ninja Blender and Food Processor, and I love it. It makes healthy cooking and baking SO much easier!
I really loved the way these turned out. I was pretty sneaky, because my husband came home, and pretty much ate half this tray in just a few minutes. He thought I made regular cookie bars. Hee Hee.
Kind of looks just like normal cookie dough, Doesn’t it?
- 1 Can of Northern White Beans
- 1 Cup of Peanut Butter OR your favorite nut butter
- 1/3 cup of Maple Syrup OR another sweetening agent
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of milk ( milk of your choosing)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees f
- In your food processor, mix all of the ingredients together. You will want to use a food processor,rather than a mixer because you want the beans pulverize. Add chocolate chips last.
- Place parchment paper in a 9 by 13 pan. spread mixture onto the pan and spread out. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the cookie bars start to look golden brown