Before Christmas, I made Healthy Key-Lime Pie Ice Cream. I was super bummed that it wasn’t more popular, because it has been my favorite recipe lately. Seriously, it tasted REALLY good!
But, do you know one thing also really loved about it? I added spinach to the ice cream, and it was appropriate, since Limes are Green. My 3-year-old was skeptical when I handed him something that looked like another green smoothie but, when I told him it was lime, he gobbled the whole thing up.
Last week, when I was doing a mini brainstorming session I started thinking about other green veggies and fruits I could match up. Do you get where I am going with this? Make a dessert with the green fruit and then HIDE the green vegetables in it! ( In addition to limes, I also have some Kiwi in the fridge too)
SOOOO I decided to make Healthy Lime Cups and add Kale for color and flavor. ( because we all know limes aren’t THAT green on the inside)
I had a hard time figuring out ingredients that would make these healthy. Most Key-lime Pies call for a ton of sugar or Condensed Milk. Instead, I sweetened these with a banana and froze them instead of baking them.
For the Crust, I mixed up almonds, 1 graham cracker and coconut oil.
For the filling, I just stuck the ingredients in my blender, and blended them, like I was making a smoothie. I then stuck the filling in these silicone baking cups and popped them in the freezer.
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 graham cracker
- 2 Bananas
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 2 limes
- <span class=”mceItemHidden” data-mce-bogus=”1″>1 cup of <span class=”hiddenSpellError” pre=”of ” data-mce-bogus=”1″>Kale-</span> I used Baby Kale</span>
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- In your food processor, Blend Almond, coconut oil and the graham cracker together until the almonds are all crushed and it becomes a paste
- Press 1-2 teaspoons of the crust mixture into each silicone baking cup
- <span class=”mceItemHidden” data-mce-bogus=”1″>In your blender, blend <span class=”hiddenSuggestion” pre=”blend ” data-mce-bogus=”1″>all of the</span> remaining ingredients</span>
- Pour 3-4 teaspoons of the filling into each cup
- freeze for 90 minutes or longer
- When you are ready to eat them, remove the cups from the freezer and pop them out of the silicone baking cup. let thaw for about 10 minutes before eating
Hope you like them!