Before getting into the details of this recipe. There are a few points that I would like to make about it. ( Maybe because I don’t feel like telling a big long story about a freezer casserole. I mean…..It’s FREEZER CASSEROLE. You know? 1) I made this Kale Parmesan Chicken Rice Casserole because I wanted to think outside the ” Broccoli Cheddar Casserole” Box. I have looked online for ” Different” or ” Creative” casseroles and couldn’t find “it.” I just needed to take matters into my own hands.
2) I was able to make SIX mini freezer meals out of this recipe. I stored this recipe in quart-sized freezer bags. For some families, this may not seem big enough for a ” Meal.” But you see, my two boys are 3 and 1. I am many years away from that time when my boys are going to ” eat me out of house and home.” So, a quart-sized bag of casserole is enough to feed us. ( If this is dinner time, we would usually have a side salad or something too)
3) These small or ” Lunch” sized freezer meals are perfect. When you feel like you have no food in the house. Where else would you go to get food when you are hungry with no food in the house? Jimmy Johns? Fast Food? Would you order a pizza? NO. You come home and spend 10 minutes defrosting this satisfying and healthy meal. Comfort food. And nobody is going to starve. Period!
4) When making this recipe, I took some shortcuts. I threw rice in my “rice cooker” and threw the chicken in my crockpot to cook and left the house. Later in the afternoon, I came home and put everything together. It was easy.
5 You DON”T need to follow this recipe exactly. You can if you want, but if you have extra celery around or different frozen vegetables to add? Go for it! THAT’S What casseroles are for!
I love making these recipes in large quantities. If I am going to mess up my kitchen, I am going to make triple what I usually would make This means more time with my family!
You must stick these casseroles in the fridge to cool before you freeze them. If hot food goes straight into the freezer, food can be contaminated!
- 12 cups of cooked rice
- Two large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 12 ounces of baby Kale
- One bag frozen veggies
- 5 cups of milk
- 2 cups of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- Three carrots, chopped
- Two tablespoons of olive oil
- Two tablespoons of cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook Rice and Chicken, set aside. In a saucepan, saute chopped onion and carrots in olive oil, until the onions are translucent and the carrots soft. Chop the baby Kale and add it to the saucepan. When the Kale is cooked, sprinkle cornstarch in the mixture and mix in. ( cornstarch will thicken this sauce). Add Milk to the sauce and stir until the mixture has thickened. Add parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Mix until the cheese has dissolved. Stir in a bag of frozen vegetables and shredded chicken. Turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, stir this mixture in with the 12 cups of rice. Portion out your desired sized casseroles into freezer bags. Make sure that you cool the casseroles in the fridge before freezing them.
I used an entire container of Kale in this recipe, next time I will use more. My kiddos ( and husband) stuffed their faces with this healthy casserole. It was so good!
To defrost, place your freezer bag-full of a casserole in a pan in your kitchen sink. Run hot water over it for 5-10 minutes. Once thawed, place the loaf in a dish. You can heat it in the microwave, OR you can add breadcrumbs or another topping and heat it in the stove.