” I just make it up” I answered. And that is true. But Also true, I am always on the lookout for new and interesting things. Other people’s ideas inspire me to come up with my own.
I have been trying to think of a way to turn a vegetable into a dessert pretty much all summer. I have watched too many Chopped episodes where the chefs make amazing desserts with traditionally savory ingredients.
Summer is over for 2012. But you can still buy fantastic looking sweet corn! I decided to attempt to bake sweet corn in sugar and cinnamon in order to make a rustic dessert.
How to make Dessert Corn Pops.
Ears of corn. 1 ear of corn for every 2 people
1 tablespoon of margarine spread . I used “I can’t believe its not butter” with olive oil
1 teaspoon of brown sugar
1 teaspoon of white sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1) Peel corn
2) Snap each piece of corn in half.
3 Mix margarine spread 1/2 the cinnamon and brown sugar
4) spread the mixture on each piece of corn
4) Wrap each piece of corn in tin foil. Parchment paper will work too.
5) Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
6) on a plate. Mix the white sugar and the other 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
7) place a stick into each piece of corn and roll lightly in the cinnamon sugar mixture.
I used my fondue sticks.
All I have to say is ” OH MY!” this was so good! An afterthought would have been to drizzle a little dark chocolate on top. But not needed. I think I have found another way to win my husbands heart! ( he is an Iowa native you know. He likes his corn !)
I would like to see something like this at next year’s Iowa State Fair. This might be another great ” healthier alternative” to the 2012 fair eats.