Summer is a great time to get outside and learn about the outdoors. Back when I had my own Girl Scout Troop, I was always trying to find fun ways for my girls to learn about safety.
I found this activity online, where you make your own “Mock” pocket knife, and teach kids how to use a knife in an appropriate manor.
My Girl Scout Troop LOVED learning about different countries, so I double dipped the learning in this activity, and also taught them the history of the Swiss Army knife.
This is a REALLY easy craft. All you need is Craft Foam and Brads. Cut out and decorate your knife case and add all the tools you would like to put inside of your pocket knife.
* It is Very Important to explain to children the possible dangers of mishandling knives. and ALWAYS use proper handling when demonstrating to children how to use a knife properly.
* While carrying a knife, it is important to have the knife pointing down. If you drop the knife, don’t try to catch it.
* Always use a cutting board when cutting. DON”T try to cut anything without a sturdy surface.
* Cutting motion should go straight down. Cutting motion should NEVER go towards yourself, and should NEVER go towards another person.
* NEVER place your fingers in the area in which you are cutting. Curl up your fingers, so your knuckles are holding the item.
* After using the knife, ALWAYS store it and put it away right away. NEVER leave a knife in a place where it can be grabbed accidentally.
NEVER leave a child unattended with a knife.
This is a great Educational activity on a family camping trip, or just when you are looking for a different summer activity!