Disclaimer: Nobody is paying me to write this. I simply want to share a few of my favorite products, and I will be featuring other grocery stores in the near future.
UPDATE: I have had an overwhelming response from readers on this post. I have added a few more of my favorite items since I originally wrote it. I am trying new things- thanks for your feedback!
Let me tell you something. Five years ago, you would not have found me in an Aldi store. The quarter thing totally freaked me out, and I just assumed that Aldi carried generic brands that were not good. I really don’t know if Aldi has changed over the years, or if I just didn’t see how many healthy items they really carried.
Don’t get me wrong, I like certain brand-name foods that I go to other stores for. But I do get a lot of generic things at Aldi- and it is really inexpensive. I get a lot of really great healthy food items for my family at Aldi- and these items are healthy and they are also delicious. I can’t tell the difference between a banana that is ten cents and a banana that is a dollar. Can you?
Here are a few of my favorite products that I pretty much buy at Aldi- all the time.
1) This. Gluten-Free Brownie Mix. – And no. Nobody in my family is gluten-free. This is just the best brownie mix there is. I bought this- because I had gluten-free relatives visiting, and I wanted to serve a dessert. These brownies are the best. I doctor them up and bring them to people’s homes and pass them off as my own, all the time. ( I am so bad!) Seriously though, these are amazing!
2) Eggs- Everyone in my family loves eggs! My kids devour, both hard boiled eggs and scrambled eggs all the time. They are healthy, and I feel great serving them! When I see eggs at Aldi for as low as $.49 cents, you better believe that eggs will be added to that week’s menu.
3) This Tropical Fruit Cocktail – There is nothing cheap or mushy about this tropical fruit cocktail. This is filled with delicious pieces of mango, papaya, and pineapple. I love serving this with lunch or just for a snack. It is nice to get some variety sometimes, and this fruit cocktail is a family favorite.
4) Salad Kits- I LOVE salad kits! But at other stores, they can cost $4.00 or $5.00 each! Aldi doesn’t have a huge variety of salad kits. ( actually, I see the same two a lot. The Caesar salad kit and the one pictured below). But they are both really good and under $3.00 each. These work well for when I am too lazy to make a salad- plus my kids will eat both the Caesar Salad Kit and this one too.
5) Avocados and Berries- I lump these together because- these are items I used to pass on – when I was in my twenties- because they were just too damn expensive! But during the summer- I see both berries and avocados at Aldi at really good prices. I am talking under $2.00 for a container of blueberries or raspberries and I have seen avocados for $.50 cents each or even as low as $ .25 cents each! My three-year-old loves berries so much! Now I don’t have ration them out to him.
6) These Butter Croissants- I guess there is nothing terribly healthy about these- but they are good. I love getting them when people are visiting from out- of -town and I will serve them with breakfast. My kids love to eat them for snacks- with jam. I also sometimes serve them with a salad- for a quick dinner.
7) Sweet Potato Fries- This is a seasonal item- so they are only there sometimes. When you see them, stock up! They’re awesome!
8) Organic Marinara Sauce- This marinara sauce is perfect! It’s organic- and it has no sugar! I love this sauce!
9) Organic Chicken Broth- I love making soup! I love making my own broth- but I can’t keep up with my soup-making habit! I love this organic Chicken broth- I always stock up when I go to Aldi.
10) Blue Cheese and Feta Cheese Crumbles- I love having tasty salad toppings around. I feel like adding a cheese to a salad makes it a meal. Aldi has awesome cheese crumbles!
11) This Coconut Oil – is the best! I love baking with coconut oil- plus my husband is obsessed with making coconut oil grilled cheese. Yes. you read that correctly. Aldi has the best coconut oil for the best price.
12) Peanut Butter Cups- Did you know that Aldi and Trader Joe’s are related somehow? Anyway, I don’t live in an area with a Trader Joe’s ( boo!). But I can tell you that the Peanut Butter Cups you find in the chocolate section at Aldi are the same Peanut Butter Cups you see at Trader Joe’s. I swear it and promise!
13) Quinoa- I probably wouldn’t eat quinoa if Aldi didn’t have it for such a low price. The other grocery stores in my area sell quinoa for like $10.00 a bag. It is so much more reasonable at Aldi.
13) Peanut Butter- We go through at least one jar of peanut butter-per week. I love the smooth, natural peanut butter at Aldi. It actually has less sugar than most same brand peanut butter- plus is really inexpensive.
14) Bananas- The Aldi here in Cedar Falls, Iowa often has bananas for .44 cents a bunch! I have seen them for as low as .22 cents a bunch! I usually grab them every week- even if they aren’t the perfect color. for .22 cents a bunch, I can make my FLOURLESS BANANA BREAD or put the bananas in the freezer for smoothies. My kids usually will eat bananas no matter what color they are. Plus we LOVE making BANANA ICE CREAM out of them!
15) Sliced Cheese- We love getting the packages of sliced cheese! Aldi has a great selection of gourmet sliced cheeses. They’re all really good! I will say, I am a little bit of a snob when it comes to cheese. I won’t eat American or anything overly processed. The variety of sliced cheese changes, but there are always some good ones.
16) This Raspberry Jam- I usually love homemade jam the best, but I really love this raspberry jam from ALDI too. My kids prefer this on their peanut butter sandwiches. It is made of good stuff. It is flavorful, but not overly sweet.
Do you shop at Aldi? What are your favorite items?