On this blog, my DIY “Go Gurt” has been popular. But do you know what I LOVED when I was a kid? ( before go gurt)
Yogurt with FRUIT on the bottom! Yogurt with fruit on the bottom was one of my favorite things to take in my school lunch. Sometimes, I mixed the fruit and yogurt together. But, most of the time, I ate all the white yogurt and saved all of the fruit for last.
As I mentioned before, I usually stay away from the yogurt department at the store, unless I am buying plain yogurt. why? so much added sugar! I thought it would be fun to make my own! My fruit on the bottom yogurt has just a little bit of added honey.
Yogurt with fruit on the bottom can be made into any flavor you like. I thought I would try strawberry and kiwi. I think that blueberry, raspberry, banana or pineapple would also be delicious! Making citrus flavors might be a little trickier, but I am sure you can make a healthy lemon curd type fruit if you wanted to.
I cut up the fruit and sautéed it in a pan with a small amount of honey. You don’t need to add any honey. When you sauté fruit over the stove will make a sweet sauce, even if you don’t add any sweetener.
I chose to use small mason jars to make my Yogurt with fruit on the bottom. I also made a few of these in small plastic containers for my kids. If you are planning on sending these with your kids to school for lunch, I would advise against sending them to school with glass. You can make these in plastic containers, baby food containers, recycled butter containers. OR you can look on amazon, because there are some really cute containers you can get.
- Plain Yogurt. I used Plain Greek Yogurt
- Chopped Fruit- I used Strawberries and Kiwi
- 1 teaspoon honey – You can also use sugar or no sweetener at all
- Chop your fruit of choice into little pieces. Add your fruit to a small pan and add 1 teaspoon of honey. cook the fruit on the stovetop on low for 5-10 minutes, or until your fruit has a “pie filling” like texture. When your fruit is cooked, place the fruit in the fridge to cool.
- Once the fruit has cooled, place it in the bottom of your yogurt container, followed by the yogurt. seal container and place it in the fridge. ( or eat it)