My husband has been OBSESSED with chia seeds lately. No joke. He has ordered bags of chia seeds on Amazon and putting them in everything.My sister-in-law, Celia has a great article on her blog, Chicago jogger on Ways to use chia seeds. I thought that I would try to make these cute little breakfast cups. I saw these cute Quinoa Breakfast bars, but I thought that making them in a muffin tin would be much cuter! Do you notice that people around you don’t eat gluten anymore? I know people who have stopped eating it because of medical reasons, AND people who seem to just enjoy this gluten-free trend. Greg and I are not gluten-free. but enjoy eating and exploring quinoa and other ancient grains.
Cranberry and Cashew Quinoa Breakfast Cups ( Makes 24) It should be noted that Cranberries and Cashews can easily be replaced with your nut of choice, raisins or Anything else that you prefer.
Ingredients: 2 cups of cooked quinoa, 1/2 cup of dried cranberries, 1/2 cup of chopped cashews, 1 teaspoon of chia seeds, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 2 eggs.
Mix: All of the ingredients into a mixing bowl.
Bake: In a mini cupcake tin. for 15 minutes.
I thought these turned out great. They’re nutty tasting. And Sweet. But not too sweet. Just a little Satisfying sweet. My two-year old crumpled them up and ate them and made a HUGE mess in the process. But that is okay :). These refrigerate well. On the second day, we heated them up in the microwave for about 20 seconds and had them for breakfast. And then I got to thinking. Mostly because of my compulsive Pinterest Hobby. I searched my 10 favorite recipes on how to enjoy quinoa for breakfast!
1) Make Quinoa Breakfast Cups. LIke the ones above….Duh 🙂
2) Apple Maple Quinoa Parfait like the ones at Diva Dish.
3) Quinoa Breakfast Bake over at Mommy Moment
4) Quinoa Breakfast Scramble over at Cooking Quinoa.
6) Veggie Quinoa Breakfast Bowl over at Reclaiming Provincial
7) Quinoa Breakfast Cookies over at Healthful Pursuit
8) Quinoa Breakfast Cereal like this one at 80 Breakfasts.
9) Zucchini Quinoa Breakfast Cake over at Gluten-Free Goddess.
10) Quinoa Sweet Potato Bake over at Family Fresh Cooking. These are all great recipes. visit the blogs and pass some recipes to those gluten-free folks you know 🙂