Why Hello! It has been a while! Why yes it has been!
My family is settling into our new house! We moved out of Southeast Iowa on May 2nd and stayed with family until last Friday! I really thought I was going to be able to continue blogging while at my parents house, but they were having work done and I wasn’t able to do what I had hoped. I have so many recipes and projects in the works, I hope that you will start following again!
One of the best things about staying with my mom is her cooking! My mom’s Italian cooking is to die for! She makes amazing risotto, chopped salads and pasta dishes. Everything she makes is always from scratch and amazing!
My mom brought home some pretty looking tomatoes home from Whole Foods and we made a caprese salad to accompany dinner.
I love Caprese Salad so much that it is hurts! And it is sooo easy!
1) Cut up a tomato into slices. Tomatoes are best when they are still warm and freshly picked. I have not had the opportunity to pick fresh tomatoes at my in law’s organic garden yet this year, but we are not too far away from this are we?
2) Cut fresh mozzarella cheese and place slices on each tomato- Using fresh mozzarella cheese for a summer caprese salad is a must.
3) Top each tomato with freshly picked basil – My mom has a wonderful herb garden at her house. I need to get mine started at the new house.
4) Sprinkle with salt and pepper- There is nothing quite like a warm summer tomato sprinkled with a little salt and pepper.
5) Drizzle with a little olive oil- But only a little. Don’t overdo it!
6) Drizzle with Balsamic vinegar. Or a Balsamic vinegar reduction might even be better
And that is how my mom taught me how to make the prefect caprese salad on a summer day!
Are the tomatoes ready yet?