My husband was in France all week, and I was at home alone in Iowa taking care of my baby. And spending a large amount of time cleaning up the spilled chalkboard paint. ( projects to come, I promise.)
After two nights of eating canned soup for supper followed by an e-mail from my husband about all the wonderful French food he was eating, I decided to make myself a good dinner, even though I was the only one who was going to eat it.
I have always LOVED purple cabbage. My mother always adds purple cabbage to her salads at home. Purple cabbage adds crunch and color to salads and other dishes.
Cabbage is always a good choice for those on a budget. A head of cabbage here in Iowa will usually sell for $.68 cents.
Purple cabbage is vitamin rich and very low in calories. I decided to use purple cabbage in place of lettuce for my taco cups because its crunchier and because I like a little color on my plate.
I am going to share with you,the recipe I followed to make these. I realize that this is more of a concept I am sharing then a recipe. Most people have their own way they like to make their taco meat.
Cabbage Taco Cups.
1 head of purple cabbage
2 lbs of thawed frozen chicken breasts
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 taco flavoring packet
1 cup of frozen corn
3 ripe tomatoes.
1) In the morning, place chicken and olive oil in a crock pot on low. cook until the chicken is ” falling apart”
2) When the chicken is ” falling apart” stir it around so it becomes shredded chicken.
3) Add frozen corn, taco seasoning packet and the three tomatoes, chopped.
4) Let mixture cook on low until supper time.
5) Carefully remove the cabbage leaves from the head of cabbage.
6) Wash and dry each cabbage leaf.
7) Assemble your Cabbage taco cups. Add your desired toppings and eat!
This was a very rewarding supper after a few long days alone with my baby. Crock pots are so nice, because your recipes don’t require much prep work and you still get a great tasting dish!
These cabbage taco cups were crunchy and flavorful. But…….I did have purple fingers at the end of my meal:)