I grew up in Chicago land. I now live in Southeast Iowa. The closest Starbucks is about 90 minutes away. I have learned to make do. A local coffee house here in Ottumwa, called the Lucky Rooster makes a ” Falling Leaves” Latte which has pumpkin and gingerbread! ( Amazing!)
Well anyway, I decided to make these mini egg roll wrapper pumpkin pies to get my pumpkin fix in.
I am so happy I have discovered the Egg roll wrapper. 1 egg roll wrapper is only 80 calories, which is so much better for you then pie crust!! I used only 1/2 an egg roll wrapper to make each mini pie!!
I decided to make each mini pie pumpkin shaped. Just because its fun!
How to make Egg Roll Wrapper Pumpkin Pies!
Makes 6 mini pies.
1/4 can of canned pumpkin
1 egg white
2 teaspoons of brown sugar
1 pinch of cinnamon
1 pinch of nutmeg.
3 egg roll wrappers
1 tablespoon olive oil. ( or other oil. I used olive oil and was extremely happy with the flavor)
1) With a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter, cut out 4 pumpkins on each egg roll wrapper. You will need two pumpkins for each pie.
2) In a bowl mix the rest of the ingredients.
3) drop about a teaspoon of the pumpkin mixture on a egg roll wrapper pumpkin.
4) Cover it up with a second pumpkin and seal it shut with a fork.
5) Brush each pie with some olive oil.
6) Bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Or until brown to satisfaction.
7) Let cool for about 5 minutes before eating.
Oh my goodness. these were Delicious! I did not think that they would be this good! I think that using olive oil instead of canola oil made a big difference in the flavor!
Egg roll wrappers are a great alternative to pie crust. Wonderfully fattening pie crust should be a special treat at Thanksgiving and Christmas and maybe once or twice during the summer. The rest of the time you can use egg roll wrappers and a healthier alternative!
This summer, I also used egg roll wrappers for my Egg Roll Wrapper Calzones. Check them out!