Cucumber Subs

I am always experimenting with new low carb recipes.  Please “like” Make the best of everything on Facebookfor new low carb updates!!

Here is another installment in my ” eating lighter” campaign.  And I should just state that I am NOT anti bread!  I LOVE bread!  I am just trying to be pro vegetable!Do you peel your cucumbers?  I sometimes do.  If the skin tastes bitter I will defiantly peel it.  If the cucumber is organic, I will always leave it on.  There is so much nutrients in the skin, that I like to keep the skin on if possible.

And I must say, that after a hard morning workout during this hot summer season, this was an extremely refreshing lunch.  I have always loved cucumbers.  They are so crisp and refreshing.  Have you ever had a cucumber slice on a Triscut cracker?  Now THATS something!

These are the ingredients I chose to use in my cucumber subs.  These are the items I prefer on a sandwich.  Guess what? you don’t have to follow my recipe.  Make something you will enjoy!  I happen to be a HUGE fan of both dijon mustard and laughing cow cheese.

Cut your cucumber to make it appropriate for a sub sandwich and scoop out the seeds.  The sandwich fillings will go there!

This was a great lunch. However, I am not sure I will make them exactly like this next time.  I will either cut the sandwich into smaller pieces before eating it, or I will make this open faced.

cucumber1000

Comments

comments

Comments

1. Terry says

Cucumbers are so cooling in the summer – fabulous idea. I think the open-faced idea is better too,…easier to eat. Thanks for sharing at our party this week. (pssst,…do you know that you have word verification on? just in case you don't I thought I'd mention it).

2. Michelles Tasty Creations says

Wow, these look delish! I like the idea of using more veggies and less bread, especially in the summer when it's super hot. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what you link up next. Have a great weekend.

Michelle

3. Peevish McSnark says

I put tuna salad in mine – the extra crunch from the cucumber is a big bonus! I like your lunchmeat version. Have you thought of also using a green bell pepper, like if you were going to go Italian Hoagie (capacola, salami, american cheese, onion, tomato, sweet peppers, lettuce)?

4. luvGodncountry says

AWESOME!!! I sooo love cucumbers too! I followed you over from Busy Monday on Pinch of Joy. I am pinning this and am going to hit the follow button next. Have a blessed week.

5. Tequila says

I make something similar all the time. I make mine a little inside out. I spread Laughing Cow cheese on a slice of turkey and wrap spears of cucumber with the turkey. They are a great lunch and my kids love them too!

6. Julie Yates says

Hi! I just shared your picture of cucumber subs on my FB page Oranges and Almonds. I couldn't resist! Great idea – I'm going to make them for lunch right now!

7. JoJo says

Just tried it w/o the mayo/disonaise and it was definitely missing something. But overall not too bad. I'll have to tweak it a bit for some more flavour.

8. Christine says

I substituted the cheese with cream cheese (cannot get Laughing Cow cheese where I live), and added mashed avocado…better than a regular sandwich! Thanks for the inspiration!

9. unBELLElivable says

I'm loving these! I first found this on pinterest…and now that I am starting my own blog,I'm already following you to keep me updated if you have more food ideas like this one. :)

10. My Thoughts says

So glad I came across this recipe. Made one tonight with all the above but used sandwich pepperoni and spinach leaves and it was amazing. So looking forward to what I can come up with next! Thanks for sharing!!

11. weightloss says

I love this recipe a Cucumber Sub. It looks so refreshing and healthy. It is a great alternative to the typical high calorie carbs like processed breads. It is the perfect sandwich to reduce your calorie intake and incorporate into a healthy diet. Here are some more diet snack options that you will enjoy.

12. amy craft says

Mix srirachi with mayo for kick and to stretch the mayo out. You could use crab and carrots with this to make it a sort of sushi, since srirachi and mayo is what makes the “spicy” in Spicy California Rolls.

13. Patty says

What a GTEAT idea. Made one this afternoon. Didn’t scoop any of the seeds out. Put laughing cow cheese slices on the bottom, grape tomatoes, turkey slices and some plain greek yogurt on top and ate them open face.

14. Kimberly says

I also love this idea. I love cucumbers too! I prepared the cucumber as you did. then drained a can of crabmeat, added fat free ranch dressing, some tapatio sauce, and seafood seasoning. mixed it all up and filled in the cucumber hulls. Delicious! 110 calories, 1 g fat, 6 g carbs, 18 g protein. yummy, filling, and refreshing. thanks!

15. Betsy says

I made these for lunch today! I used 1 tablespoon 1/3 less fat cream cheese, 1 tablespoon full fat mayo, salt and pepper, and turkey! I love the idea on here to make crab and spicy mayo! YUM! Thanks for the idea!

16. Denyse Holm-Moberly says

I make a similar item open as a boat filled w/ laughing cow minced meat or tuna and asstd vegis. I also put julienned cuke, onion, multi colored pepper and carrot rolled in meat with laughing cow spread on the sliced meat. The cheese acts as glue if you make certain that the edge has a bit on it when you roll it up. Keep the nummy tips coming.

17. Deanna Wester says

Sounds and looks fantastic…………….Thinking maybe zucchini instead of cucumber would be good also….Have both so may just make both. ;)

18. Amy says

I love this sub idea and think it would be good with a little chicken salad in it

I make a cucumber “salad” by dicing up a cucumber and adding red seedless grapes (cut in half) with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I think it would also be good with some shaved Parmesan cheese and/or diced chicken to make it a little more substantial. It could also be used kind of like a salsa over a chicken breast or pork chop.

19. eileen @ diets says

What a clever healthy way to make a sandwich. I love the idea. I will definitely incorporate it into my diet plan. Changing your lifestyle doesn’t have to be hard it is about setting goals and planning out how you are going to achieve them this will make you successful.

Trackbacks

1. シャネル 財布…

This is some useful stuff. It took me a while to unearth this web page but it was worth the time. I noticed this website was hidden in google and not the first spot. This site has a lot of good quality stuff and it does not deserve to be burried in the…

2. […] لقد سمعت عن برغر ملفوف بالخس من قبل و لمنها المرة الاولى التي ارى فيها ساب بالخيار بدل الخبز. انها وجبة رائعة قليلة الدهون بامكانك تناولها بعد التمرين. تقشر الخيار من الجانب ثم تملأها بما تريد و لكن ليس لدي ادنى فكرة اين يباع خيار بهذا الحجم. [المصدر] […]

3. […] Cucumber Subs « Make the Best of Everything And I must say, that after a hard morning workout during this hot summer season, this was an extremely refreshing lunch. I have always loved cucumbers. [+] Recipes Food home • contact • blog • fb • twitter to experience pearltrees activate javascript. […]