These are Zucchini pizza cups. These cute little cups might just be the same thing that I always make for dinner, but transformed into a new shape. If you are a reader of this blog, then you know I LOVE zucchini.
When this idea popped into my head, I couldn’t resist.
How to make Zucchini Pizza cups
1) Cut zucchini into 2 inch segments.
2) use a melon baller to scoop out each zucchini piece, making them into cups.
3) drizzle each cup with olive oil and some pepper.
4) Roast in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
You should pull something that looks like these zucchini cups out of the oven. Don’t use as much olive oil as I did. I tend to use too much.
5) Prepare your pizza toppings.
My pizza toppings of choice almost ALWAYS include Italian sausage, as I am ( part) Italian and from the Chicago area. Italian sausage is part of my family’s culture.
I sautéed the Italian sausage and added the zucchini that I had scooped from the cups. I don’t like to waste food.
When cooking with Italian Sausage REMEMBER TO DRAIN the sausage after cooking. This makes your dish much less greasy and cuts out some of the fat.
6) Assemble your pizza cups. Place your toppings in the cups, sprinkle with cheese and bake just until the cheese is melted.
7) Serve with pizza sauce on the side and enjoy!
I will be making these again! Roasting the zucchini in the oven caramelized the bottom of the zucchini cup, and it just tasted suburb!